The Giver


The story of The Giver centers on Jonas (Brenton Thwaites), a young man who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Yet as he begins to spend time with The Giver (Jeff Bridges), who is the sole keeper of all the community's memories, Jonas quickly begins to discover the dark and deadly truths of his community's secret past. With this newfound power of knowledge, he realizes that the stakes are higher than imagined - a matter of life and death for himself and those he loves most. At extreme odds, Jonas knows that he must escape their world to protect them all - a challenge that no one has ever succeeded at before.

This was another movie about a future society based on a young adult novel.  The whole set up seemed very similar to The Hunger Games and Divergent and that should really make me sick of these movies by this point.  Yet I'm not for some unknown reason.  I like these movies even though they seem like knock offs of each other.  Not sure if that's a reflection of my views of society and how I think the future will shape up or if I just have some sort of patience for this.  The cast in this was good although I think they could have actually done more with the three teenage friends dynamic.  Meryl Streep was no necessary and seemed out of place but Jeff Bridges was perfect and great as always.  I did not read this book so I can 't really account for the book vs movie debate.

I liked this movie.  I would not say loved it or that it is a must see.  Not nearly as good as The Hunger Games or Divergent in my opinion but still a pretty decent watch.  I would somewhat recommend people checking this out.