The Number 23

The Number 23 stars Jim Carrey as a man whose life unravels after he comes into contact with an obscure book titled The Number 23. As he reads the book, he becomes increasingly convinced that it is based on his own life. His obsession with the number 23 starts to consume him, and he begins to realize the book forecasts far graver consequences for his life than he could have ever imagined.

This is the type of movie that totally explains how my movie going experiences are dictated by expectations. I was really psyched to see this movie because I love Jim Carrey and the previews for it looked awesome. Then I read a bunch of reviews that said the movie was absolutely horrible. I'm talking about like one star reviews here. I was disappointed by that and ended up going in to the movie expecting it to be pretty crappy. I'm usually not one to buy in to the critics' point of view but when 5 or 6 people say the same thing about it - I might tend to be swayed. Luckily, because of the low expectations going in I ended up thinking that the movie was pretty good and not nearly as bad as everyone had said it would be. The movie wasn't quite as suspenseful as I thought it would be. I was expecting a lot more of an edge of my seat type feeling. However, it was one of those Sixth Sense type movies and I don't really see why people would have thought this was so bad.

I would casually recommend people checking this one out. It's not worthy of must see status but it's worth the trip to theaters if you are up to it.