The Spiderwick Chronicles

From the series of books by the same name comes The Spiderwick Chronicles. It is a fantasy adventure for the child in all of us. Peculiar things start to happen the moment the Grace family (Jared, his twin brother Simon, sister Mallory and their mom) leave New York and move into the secluded old house owned by their great, great uncle Arthur Spiderwick. Unable to explain the strange disappearances and accidents that seem to be happening on a daily basis, the family blames Jared. When he, Simon and Mallory investigate what's really going on, they uncover the fantastic truth of the Spiderwick estate and of the creatures that inhabit it.

This is one of those great fantasy type movies. I love movies like this when you get a chance to view in to this made up world of fairies, goblins, and magic. I had read the books and really looked forward to seeing this movie. I was worried that my expectations were too high and I was inevitably going to end up disappointed. However, I was not at all. I think they did a great job of capturing the world and characters created in the book and that Freddy Highmore (playing both Jared and Simon) has continued on his path of what could be an amazing acting career. The only real knock that I can make against this movie is that there are some parts that are way too scary for really little kids seeing this. The main bad guy turns in to a huge goblin and a massive snake at certain points. I was glad that Stinka was past that waking me up in the middle of the night because she was scared phase at certain points during the movie so be warned parents of young ones.

I would fully recommend people checking this movie out. Its a great trip to another world while you are in the theater watching it.