The Secret Life Of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees, based on the New York Times best selling novel and set in South Carolina in 1964, is the moving tale of Lily Owens (Fanning) a 14 year-old girl who is haunted by the memory of her late mother (Burton). To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father (Bettany), Lily flees with Rosaleen (Hudson), her caregiver and only friend, to a South Carolina town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sisters (Latifah, Okonedo and Keys), Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping.

This is one of those movies that I know was a good movie - especially if you like those heart string character dramas, but I just wasn't that in to it. The performances were very diverse and well done for character drama standards. Dakota Fanning continues to impress and I still get such a kick out of seeing how far Queen Latifah has come from being all gangsta rap back and the day. It wasn't a bad movie at all, but I just found myself very bored with it and wanting it to end so I could move on to something else.

I'd still recommend that anyone who was really interested in seeing this go check it out. It just wasn't really my kind of movie I guess.