The Fourth Kind

The Fourth Kind is a provocative thriller set in modern-day Nome, Alaska, where—mysteriously since the 1960s—a disproportionate number of the population has been reported missing every year. Despite multiple FBI investigations of the region, the truth has never been discovered. Here in this remote region, psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler (Milla Jovovich) began videotaping sessions with traumatized patients and unwittingly discovered some of the most disturbing evidence of alien abduction ever documented. Using never-before-seen archival footage that is integrated into the film, The Fourth Kind exposes the terrified revelations of multiple witnesses. Their accounts of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details, the validity of which is investigated throughout the film.

I found this movie to be annoyingly filmed and stupid. I could, however, see how someone could enjoy this. The fundamental divide exists in how much you buy in to the "never before seen archival footage". I didn't buy it at all. That just made the movie all the more insulting. I just kind of feel like they tried to make the movie too smart and ended up making it dumb instead. It starts with Milla Jovovich introducing herself as . . . . . . Milla Jovovich and how she will be playing the part of Abigail Tyler. She then tells the audience that they will be going back and forth between "archived footage" and the actors. WHAT!?! It kinds of takes away from the movie when you are blantantly telling me that its a movie. I knew that it was a movie going in but I found myself unable to enjoy any of the parts that weren't "archived footage" because of this stupid introduction. As for the "archived footage" it seemed like some of the most bogus crap I've ever seen. Maybe its because I'm not really in to all that alien abduction hoopla and what not. I could see someone who is really liking this a lot more than I did.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. It could have been so much better if they just made it as a normal movie or a home video, archived video type thing. Instead they mushed the two together - even airing them both simultaneously at times - and made it a pretty big turd.