Florence Foster Jenkins


Set in 1940s New York, Florence Foster Jenkins is the true story of the legendary New York heiress and socialite (Meryl Streep) who obsessively pursued her dream of becoming a great singer. The voice she heard in her head was beautiful, but to everyone else it was hilariously awful. Her "husband" and manager, St. Clair Bayfield (Hugh Grant), an aristocratic English actor, was determined to protect his beloved Florence from the truth. But when Florence decided to give a public concert at Carnegie Hall, St. Clair knew he faced his greatest challenge.

I really didn't get this movie.  Was it a comedy?   Was it a drama?  So she couldn't sing well but thought that she could?   That was it.  I still don't get it.  Why would Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant do this movie?   I would think that there should be much more substance to it, no?   Maybe this is just one of those not my cup of tea type of movies and people that are more familiar with these historical people or time era that it took place in will really like this.   I pretty much sat there for the vast majority of the movie thinking "huh?"

Like I said above - I'm really not sure how to review this one.  It's just kind of there and I have no idea why it was made.  But maybe I'm just ignorant about the times/characters and people that are not would like it more?