Atonement

In 1935, 13-year-old fledgling writer Briony Tallis (Saoirse Ronan) and her family live a life of wealth and privilege in their enormous mansion. Robbie Turner (McAvoy), the educated son of the family's housekeeper, carries a torch for Briony’s headstrong older sister Cecilia (Ms. Knightley). Cecilia, he hopes, has comparable feelings; all it will take is one spark for this relationship to combust. When it does, Briony – who has a crush on Robbie – is compelled to interfere, going so far as accusing Robbie of a crime he did not commit. Cecilia and Robbie declare their love for each other, but he is arrested – and with Briony bearing false witness, the course of three lives is changed forever. Briony continues to seek forgiveness for her childhood misdeed. Through a terrible and courageous act of imagination, she finds the path to her uncertain atonement, and to an understanding of the power of enduring love.

This is one of those movies that was made with winning oscars in mind. Unfortunately, I'm usually not a big fan of movies like this. I find myself sitting there, knowing that the movie is very well done and sure to win all sorts of awards and critical praise, but honestly I find it pretty boring. Its like that English Patient movie years ago. You know its good, but its just not your type of movie. The only part of the movie that I found myself truly enjoying was the end when it all tied together. There were very many parts where I was wondering if there was some way that I could just fast forward the movie. Again - its not that its a bad movie at all. If you enjoy movies like this - then you would probably love this movie. I just wasn't very in to it at all.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone who either likes these powerful, "epic" dramas or anyone who likes to see movies that are nominated for awards. Other than that - I wouldn't really recommend this movie.