Everybody's Fine

Everybody's Fine follows a widower (De Niro) who embarks on an impromptu road trip to reconnect with each of his grown children only to discover that their lives are far from picture perfect.

When I saw the trailer for this movie, it did nothing other than open up the massive scars from "The Family Stone". Not sure if anyone remembers that movie. I sadly will never forget it. It was advertised as a feel good, family comedy for the holidays. WW and I were all psyched to see it. Turns out the movie was about the kids finding out that their mother was dying of cancer and this would be the last holiday that they would spend with her. It might honestly be the most devastating movie going experience ever. I saw the trailer for this and immediately assumed that Robert DeNiro was going to die. SPOILER ALERT . . . . . . . . . . . I was wrong. He makes it. However, this movie is horribly misadvertised. Its marketed as a comedy drama. There is NO comedy in this whatsoever. Actually, I'm wrong. I laughed at one scene that DeNiro has with his grandson about 15 minutes in to the movie. Outside of that there was nothing. Even the title is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. It should have been called Everybody's Not Fine. Putting my rambling aside - this is a watchable movie - IF you can identify with the crazy family dynamics. Essentially the mother passes away and the father who never really had a connection with any of the kids is trying to establish one now and the kids are trying to shield him from all the tough things in their lives.

As for my recommendation, if that last part above strikes an understanding nerve with you then you could check this movie out. If you have no idea what I mean by that or don't understand it - you won't enjoy this movie at all. Its purely a situational watch.