The Road

The Road is an epic post apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by a father (Viggo Mortensen) and his young son (newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee) across a barren landscape that was blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed civilization and most life on earth.

I really liked this movie. I just can't really figure out why. Its not that I shouldn't have liked the movie. The performances were great. The cinematography was amazing and really took you to the post apocalyptic world. Maybe it was just that the movie took right off? The movie didn't really have a beginning. They were just kind of there in this really crappy future for our world. They kept flashing back to conversations between the father and mother where they kept talking about knowing what they had to do . . . . . . but never really said what it was. The father and son just kept travelling . . . . . but I'm still totally in the dark as to what they were travelling to. They finally got to the ocean . . . . . . but what closure does that provide? Even with these knocks against the movie, at no point was I bored or not interested in what was going on. I'm still very confused as to what it was that made me really like this movie. Usually I'd be able to go on and on about how great it was. This vexes me.

I'm not sure whether or not to recommend this movie because of my aforementioned confusion about liking it. Its a downright dreary journey that really sucks you in. I really liked it. I just don't know why.