Invictus

The film tells the inspiring true story of how Nelson Mandela joined forces with the captain of South Africa's rugby team to help unite their country. Newly elected President Mandela knows his nation remains racially and economically divided in the wake of apartheid. Believing he can bring his people together through the universal language of sport, Mandela rallies South Africa's underdog rugby team as they make an unlikely run to the 1995 World Cup Championship match.

Every year there is one of these. There is always one movie that comes out this time of year that is a very well made movie in every way. It will probably get nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and numerous Best Acting nominations. However, I am just not into it at all. Last year it was The Reader. This year it is Invictus. I knew all along that I was watching a "great" movie, but I wasn't remotely hooked by it at all and just kind of watched it completely uninterested. I guess it didn't help that I know absolutely nothing about Rugby. There were a lot of very dramatic rugby scenes where I had no idea what was going on. I have a whole new respect for people sitting through sports movies that have no idea about sports after seeing this one.

I am really not the right person to be recommending or not recommending this movie. If you want to see all the oscar worthy movies - you should check this out. I was pretty bored by it though and felt it lacked a legitimite emotional hook.