Hugo


Hugo tells the story of an orphan boy living a secret life in the walls of a Paris train station. With the help of an eccentric girl, he searches for the answer to a mystery linking the father he recently lost, the ill-tempered toy shop owner living below him and a heart shaped lock, seemingly without a key.

This is a tough one to review.  I felt myself wanting to like it throughout out because the movie was awesome visually with all the inner gear workings of the clocks, the cinematography was great and I really liked how they took us in to this train station and built a whole world of intriguing characters within its walls.  I stayed very intrigued to these characters for over an hour before I started wondering where this movie was going.  Then I played the game of checking to see how much longer there was and getting more and more disenchanted by how it wasn't really going anywhere and there was no actual storyline.  The movie was about 2 hours long - MUCH longer than it needed to be and it ended up being really artsy fartsy. 

I wouldn't recommed anyone bothering with this movie.  It started off really good and had a ton of potential but ultimately ended up going nowhere.