The Cabin In The Woods


Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen.  If you think you know this story, think again. From fan favorites Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard comes "The Cabin in the Woods," a mind blowing horror film that turns the genre inside out.

The critics were huge fans of this movie and I read a lot of positive stuff about it.  Then I got nothing but horrible reviews from anyone I know that saw it.  I feel like the result of those two things (along with watching Lockdown just before this) made me see this as middle of the road I guess.  I get the critics choosing to love it because of all the social commentary that is featured throughout what is ultimately a total gorefest and more likely because of them needing to love Joss Whedon since he is attached to The Avengers.  I also get people thinking that this is total garbage because - well it was.  It tried to be overly smart and that was eventualy it's undoing because there was no way that it would pan out to the buildup that they were doing throughout.  The ending just became a crazy fifteen minutes crammed with over the topness across the board.  For once, I'm glad I didn't see a movie when it first came out because I think all the bad word of mouth (again - as well as suffering through Lockdown just before) made this tolerable for me even though it was pretty much poop.

I wouldn't recommend anyone checking this out.  Again - it is ultimately garbage.  The satirical stuff was good but about halfway through ran out of gas and just kind of spiralled in to garbage.