Jersey Boys


Clint Eastwood's big screen version of the Tony Award-winning musical tells the story of the four young men from the wrong side of the tracks in New Jersey who came together to form the iconic '60s rock group The Four Seasons. Their trials and triumphs are accompanied by the hit songs that influenced a generation, and are now being embraced by a new generation of fans through the stage musical.

I liked this movie but I didn't love it.  And I feel like I could have but there was just something missing from it.  I don't know if it was the pacing.  I don't know if it was the lack of a real dramatic hook.  I don't know if it was the no-name actors.  Maybe it was the rave reviews for the play that I never saw effecting my expectations?  I can't put my finger on it, but there was something.  Normally a movie like this would have me loving it but this one just seemed to drop the ball.  And I was a bit thrown off thinking that it was a musical when it really wasn't.  It was a drama about a band and all songs that were performed were when they were performing on stage as part of the movie.  Maybe that was it?  I don't know.

I would somewhat recommend this movie.  Again - I did like it.  But I should have and wanted to love it but I didn't.  Still can't figure out what it was that was missing.  This is going to bother me for a while.