Choke

Choke is a dark comedy about mothers and sons, sexual compulsion, and the sordid underbelly of Colonial theme parks. Victor Mancini (Rockwell), a sex-addicted med-school dropout, who keeps his increasingly deranged mother, Ida (Huston), in an expensive private medical hospital by working days as a historical reenactor at a Colonial Williamsburg theme park. At night Victor runs a scam by deliberately choking in upscale restaurants to form parasitic relationships with the wealthy patrons who "save" him. When, in a rare lucid movement, Ida reveals that she has withheld the shocking truth of his father’s identity, Victor enlists the aid of his best friend, Denny (Henke) and his mother's beautiful attending physician, Dr. Paige Marshall (Macdonald), to solve the mystery before the truth of his possibly divine parentage is lost forever.

This move was based on a book by the guy that wrote Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuck. I have read all of his books and they are honestly some of the most deranged and twisted stuff I've ever read. Its the type of stuff that gets so down and dirty at times that you really don't know why you are reading but it somehow hooks you. Of all his books, I would say that this one was middle of the pack overall and I figured that turning it in to a movie would be pretty crazy. It was. I only gave this movie the 30 minute treatment to see if I should even bother paying the $5 to rent it when it comes out. I probably won't and will just wait for cable. The portion of the movie that I watched was very scattered and basically just a series of ridiculous sexual escapades that seem so unrealistic to me that it ends up being rather pointless.

I wouldn't really recommend people checking this movie out. Its not even really in theaters, but I would just wait for cable even when this comes out on video.