Stranger Than Fiction

Stranger Than Fiction is a quirky comedy about a novelist (Emma Thompson) struggling to complete her latest book. She has to find a way to kill off her main character, Harold Crick (Will Ferrell), and she'll be done. Little does she know that Harold Crick is a real person that is alive and well and suddenly aware of her words. Fiction and reality collide when the resistant Harold hears what she has in mind and realizes he must find a way to change the ending of her book . . . . and his life.

I usually go in to these types of movies a little bit skeptical of whether or not I'm going to like it. Any time that a movie this quirky/artsy opens up to a mainstream audience, Hollywood is taking a big chance that the crowd might walk out saying "what in the blue hell did I just sit through"? Movies like Lost In Translation, I Heart Huckabees, and Broken Flowers all made me do that. There was a part of me that realizes that from a film/acting/writing perspective those movies could have gotten 4 star reviews, but all of us down to earth movie goers spent money to be confused. NOT COOL!!!

Anywho, I digress because Stranger Than Fiction was NOT one of those movies. I really enjoyed this movie and thought that it was a perfect role for Will Ferrell as he tries as hard as possible to break out of the goofball comedy mode. In this one he got to still play the same kind of role but the writing and storyline made you take him seriously.

I was very pleasantly surprised and would recommend this movie for all.