The Artist


Hollywood 1927. George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), it seems the sky's the limit - major movie stardom awaits. The Artist tells the story of their interlinked destinies.

This was a great throwback to silent movies.  I was not frustrated by the not talking at all and it kept my interest throughout.  However, I feel like that was the pull of the movie.  If this was a talking movie - it's poop.  It managed to cash in on it's one trick hook well enough for it to be an enjoyable movie.  I am having a problem though with how gaa-gaa people are for it.  Is this what we've come to?  Best picture nominations based on making a movie like they used to 80-90 years ago?  This really was a rough year I guess. 

I would definitely recommend people checking this one out.  Don't get me wrong. It is a very entertaining movie with the silent factor added in and I definitely enjoyed it.  I just am thrown off by the very high critical praise for it.