The Ten Best Movies Of 2011

Honorable Mention - Just Go With It

This movie had everything going against it.  I don't like Jennifer Aniston at all.  Adam Sandler movies are all the same.  Worst pairing of a couple ever in the two of them.  However, I was wrong on all counts and this movie had me laughing my a$$ off.  I thought maybe I was just surprised by really low expectations so I watched it again and still loved it just as much.  It's my favorite comedy of a year where there were a lot of high profile ones that failed to meet expectations for me.

10.  Insidious

This movie terrified me.  The movie wasn't gory.  The movie wasn't too hokey.  It used old school fear tactics and it paid off tremndously for the first 4/5 of the movie.  Then it was completely off the wall creepy for the last 1/5 of the movie.  Lost sleep after this one.

9.  Super 8

This movie felt like such a throwback to the movies when I was a kid that Stephen Spielberg used to churn out all the time.  Those adventure movies, usually with a cast of teenagers, against crazy odds and what not.  It's a shame that I've had to wait as long as I did for a movie like this and I still feel that it didn't get the respect that it deserved. 

8.  Fast Five

Nobody is more shocked than me that this movie is on my top ten list.  I'm basing this on adrenaline alone and this movie was just pure, fun, badass, adrenaline on film.  I've enjoyed the Fast & Furious franchise for the most part but bringing in The Rock with Vin Diesel was amazing.  I can't remember the last time that I sat in a theater where the whole audience was cheering throughout the movie like that.

7.  The Adjustment Bureau

I don't know why I loved this movie as much as I did.  I've watched it a ton of times and I still can't really explain it.  It really made me think about my beliefs in a higher power and what not and that we ultimately do control our own destinies no matter what.  Too deep?  Sorry.  Like I said - this movie has some ridiculous spot with me.

6.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I loved the books and this was probably the second most looked forward movie for me this year because of the combination of the story and director David Fincher.  This guy is phenomenal across the board and this movie was no different.  His attention to detail brought the character of Lisbeth Salander (one of the most complicated characters ever) to the screen perfectly.  The second and third installments of this movie are going to be awesome.

5.  The Muppets

This was by far my most anticipated movie of the year.  I have always been a HUGE fan of the Muppets and have no idea how they fell out of the spotlight for so long.  I was thrilled just to see them back and the fact that movie was actually incredibly well written that they were mocking the whole situation of them not being as famous anymore was brilliant. 

4.  Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Part 2

My favorite two movie franchises are Star Wars (only the original trilogy) and Lord Of The Rings.  However, Harry Potter is easily the best 8 movie franchise ever.  Think about how good these movies have been throughout and this was one of the better entries.  They stuck to the book which was great and this was literally a big ride.  This was the most action packed one and I am so lost knowing that it's over. 

3.  X-Men: First Class

Of all the high profile summer movies that came out this year, this was probably the one that I expected the least from.  I figured it would be on par with the Wolverine movie and just be a popcorn type action movie.  What I got instead was easily the best "prequel" of all time.  Why can't all the other ones or the numerous relaunches be half as good as this one.  The story was awesome, tied directly in to actual history and the character development was some of the best ever. 

2.  The Help

This movie should go on to win Best Picture this year.  The acting was top notch across the board.  The story was great with all the different classes and exploring their lines of thinking regarding racism.  What made this movie the most enjoyable was that even with the serious tone and drama thoughout, there were some of the biggest laughs in this movie at the same time.  That balance really made this an amazing watch.

1.  Warrior

I know, right?  What?  Has anyone even heard of this movie?  Well, you should!!!  I only went to see this based on a shocking recommendation from a friend of mine.  I went based solely on his word and am so glad that I did since I really only had like 10 days to see it in theaters.  This movie was so well written, directed, and acted.  I was torn in all different directions.  I felt equally bad and rooting for both brothers as the movie built towards such an awesome conclusion.  I'm sure that this movie will not be on most other's lists or any critics.  It will get no end of year recognition, but this is my favorite movie of 2011 by far.