The Ten Best Movies Of 2019




Honorable Mention - Netflix movies
I don't blog about Netflix movies but I'm starting to think that I have to.  If I did - The Irishman and Marriage Story would absolutely be on the top 10 list.  I have no doubt that both of them will be scoring major awards in the next couple of months and rightfully so.

10 - Knives Out
Way to redeem yourself, Rian Johnson.  This movie was so much fun to watch, had a great cast and played out so entertainingly that it managed to squeeze itself on to the list.

9 - Us
Nowhere near as good as Get Out but still a great showing for Jordan Peele who has pretty much become a must see director and not just a flash in the pan.

8 - Good Boys
Easily the funniest movie of the year for me.  This movie had me crying from laughing so many times.  I still get giggle fits thinking about the one kid from the movie randomly screaming.

7 - The Art Of Racing In The Rain
Massive and blatant heartstring pulling movie but I still absolutely loved it.  Any person who has had a pet that they loved more than anything in the world will love this movie.

6 - Toy Story 4
I was very skeptical about this movie because I thought that Toy Story 3 was the greatest finale for this franchise.  But this movie was very enjoyable and it introduced Forky who might actually end up being my favorite character in the whole franchise now.

5 - A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood
I really can't explain why this movie connected with me so much but it just did.  I thought Tom Hanks did an amazing job and I loved how it was like Mr Rogers for adults.

4 - The Peanut Butter Falcon
Another movie that I really can't explain why this movie sucked me in so much.  I was glued to this one and loved the chemistry between the two leads.  Taking away emotional connections to other movies - this would have actually been the best movie of the year for me.

3 -How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World
Few movies have connected with me on a heavier level than the How To Train Your Dragon ones.  Toothless is seemingly a cartoon version of my cat J.  I cried my eyes out so many times in this movie.  The story was beautiful.  The animation was beautiful.  It was an absolutely perfect ending.

2 - Parasite
Holy crap!  Never thought I could watch a North Korean movie with subtitles and be so mind blown by it and so into it like I was with this movie.  This was absolutely amazing on so many levels.  I loved it as one type of movie and then the last 20 minutes or so had me yelling WTF over and over again.  Stunned!

1 - Avengers: Endgame
Kind of laughed that this ended up being my favorite movie of the year.  Was it the best Marvel movie?  No.  Was it the best Avengers movie?  No.  But was it an amazing ending to the most amazing overall storytelling I have ever seen in cinema spanning 10 years and 22 movies?  100000000000% yes.  And for that it earned this spot.  I don't know that we can ever see something on such a massive scale and be so exceptional in every way like this ever again.