2007: The Best

Honorable Mention - Arthur & The Invisibles

I'm pretty sure that barely anyone knows of this movie. It came out way back in January and I took my future stepdaughter to see it and the two of us absolutely loved it. It reminded me of those movies from when I was a kid like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. Its not top ten worthy, but definitely justified an honorable mention shout out.

10. 3:10 To Yuma

Pretty much the only genre of movies that I am not really a fan of is Westerns. However, I completely enjoyed this movie from beginning to end. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe were both great and Ben Foster put forth one of the best performances of the year as the main bad guy.

9. The Simpsons Movie

This movie deserves a spot on this list simply because they can make it as fresh and funny some 19 years after the Simpsons were created. That's simply amazing. Most of the time you get a movie that's way past due and it ends up just kind of being there. That was not the case with this awesome piece of work.

8. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

The fact that these movies continue to get better and better five movies deep in to the franchise is phenomenal. This movie struck me as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the franchise. It was darker than the previous one and served as the perfect bridge from the lighter first four and the two that are still to come. Side note - Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange might be the single best casting decision ever.

7. The Bourne Ultimatum

This movie was awesome simply because of how action packed it was and when you think about it - there really weren't any special effects. The fight scenes and car chases all looked so real. Plus the perfectly built suspense keeps your eyes glued to the screen the whole time. This is one of those movies that you can't even check to see what time it is.

6. The Kingdom

I think its a shame how underappreciated this movie was. It was like watching CSI: Saudi and then you couldn't even breathe for the last 20 - 30 minutes because of how terrified you were with the suspense level. Not to mention that Jason Bateman starting to surface in more prominent roles is the single best acting related thing to happen in Hollywood this year. The movie also drives home a really strong message and isn't just a popcorn, patriotic - kick their ass kind of movie.

5. Sweeney Todd

Nobody does quirky better than the combination of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. I was beyond skeptical about this movie (as I am about all musicals), especially with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter singing. However, this movie did such an amazing job of sucking you in regardless of how weird/dark everything was and how gory it was at times. I found myself loving the music and not finding it out of place at all.

4. The Kite Runner
I loved the book and couldn't wait to see the movie. It still managed to meet my expectations when they were so high. If anyone doesn't like this movie, they simply don't have a heart in their chest. This movie gave such a remarkable insight in to a culture that we are mostly blind to out of rage and drives home the "they aren't all bad" line of thinking.



3. No Country For Old Men

This movie easily would have been number two if it wasn't for the last 2 minutes of the movie. This was the best 99.9% of a movie ever. I was so disenchanted by the final pointless (damn you, artsy directors!) scene that it cost it a silver medal. Javier Bardem's character in this should be a lock for Best Supporting Actor at every award show this year. He was the creepiest guy on screen since Hannibal Lecter. The tension between him and Josh Brolin was one of the best good guy/bad guy things I've seen in a long time.

2. American Gangster

This was an awesome rise and fall gangster movie. It wasn't as good as The Godfathers, Goodfellas or The Departed but it was pretty damn close. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe were both awesome. The growing build up of their seperate stories was very well done and when it culminated there was no disappointment with the pay off.

1. Transformers

I have waited so long for a true "event" movie. So many have been given that label in the last ten plus years (basically since Independence Day) and haven't fully paid off. I felt that this one truly did. I can't remember the last time I felt like a little kid with the excitement that this movie made me feel. When I heard Optimus Prime's voice and it was the same from the cartoon I was freaking out. The effects were obviously awesome. The script was full of huge laughs along with the great action. Shia LeBeouf is the next Will Smith. He simply has that "it" quality. This may not have been worthy of "Best Picture" status by any means, but I haven't truly enjoyed watching a movie as much as this one in years.