I Am Legend

Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable... and manmade. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City... and maybe the world. But he is not alone. He is surrounded by "the Infected"—victims of the plague who have mutated into carnivorous beings who can only exist in the dark and who will devour or infect anyone or anything in their path. For three years, Neville has spent his days scavenging for food and supplies and faithfully sending out radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. All the while, the Infected lurk in the shadows, watching Neville's every move, waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But his blood is also what The Infected hunt, and Neville knows he is outnumbered and quickly running out of time.

Overall, I liked this movie. I actually liked it quite a lot. As far as I'm concerned there are two actors in Hollywood that truly can do no wrong . . . . . Tom Hanks and Will Smith. If Will Smith wasn't in this movie - it probably would have been horrible. Him and Hanks are the type of characters that are so commanding that you can actually watch just them for long periods of time and you are just as in to it as if it was some kind of a special effects summer blockbuster. This movie reminded me ALOT of Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Will Smith has that same kind of awesome presence. He's so good that even though his primary supporting actor is a dog - you end up caring about the dog. Speaking of which . . . . . SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFOREHAND - SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH. The dog that you come to completely care about dies. I only give that away because I feel that certain system shockers like that are better forewarned. It is heartbreaking and I really could have done without it.

The only knock that I'll make against this movie is what my good friend from another faith pointed out. That is that the movie seems to flip flop back and forth a little too much between what genre it wants to be. Is it a post-apocalyptic sci fi blockbuster? Is it a horror movie? Is it a psychological drama? There were a couple of times where the going back and forth made the movie drag a bit at times. Outside of that - it was a really good movie and again - Will Smith really can't do any wrong as far as I'm concerned. I would recommend people checking this out. I wouldn't bring young kids even though its rated PG-13 because there are some really scary parts in it. WW nearly shoved me out of my chair numerous times. She has this awesome thing with hitting or shoving me when she gets scared.