A Monster Calls


A visually spectacular drama from acclaimed director Juan Antonio Bayona (“The Impossible”), based on the award-winning children’s fantasy novel. 12-year-old Conor (Lewis MacDougall) attempts to deal with his mother’s (Felicity Jones) illness and the bullying of his classmates by escaping into a fantastical world of monsters and fairy tales that explore courage, loss, and faith.

Wow!  I can't tell you the last time a movie hooked me and destroyed me so much emotionally.   To say that 2016 was easily the most difficult year of my life would be a massive understatement.  There were of course tons of positives but the losses and the events around them were huge.  This movie basically combined several aspects from 2016 and showed how the 12 year old processed it all.  The movie while crushing was also very touching and incredibly imaginative.   I am not even sure that this review is doing justice to how good of a movie it was because I'm starting to get emotional all over again like I was during the movie.

I would absolutely recommend people checking this out.  Be warned that it is a very emotional movie but was so well done.