Patriot's Day


In the aftermath of an unspeakable attack, Police Sergeant Tommy Saunders (Mark Wahlberg) joins courageous survivors, first responders and investigators in a race against the clock to hunt down the bombers before they strike again. Weaving together the stories of Special Agent Richard DesLauriers (Kevin Bacon), Police Commissioner Ed Davis (John Goodman), Sergeant Jeffrey Pugliese (J.K. Simmons) and nurse Carol Saunders (Michelle Monaghan) this visceral and unflinching chronicle captures the suspense of one of the most sophisticated manhunts in law enforcement history and celebrates the strength of the people of Boston.

I have always tried to stay away from any current event type stories or tragedies.  I am worried about the sadness and tragedy weighing me down.  Just a thing I've always done.  This story was completely different for me.  I don't know if it's because so many of my favorite childhood memories are from my regular trips to Boston, my Red Sox fandom, my college memories from once again regular visits to Boston or the fact that I was there with my daughter and her boyfriend 24 hours earlier than the incident and even asked my father what they needed alll the heavy police vehicles and presence for.  I followed this whole story non-stop for days and remember standing at my nieces first bday party watching Big Papi's speech the following weekend with one of my oldest friends who grew up near Boston in dead silence.  I was very eager to see this movie but was afraid that it would be the usually tragedy movie that is done all wrong.  Very happily - that was not the case.  They did this one right by focusing on the everyday people that stepped up to become heroes when their times came.  They didn't focus on the act or the criminals as much as the news does.  I very much enjoyed this movie.

I would absolutely recommend that people check this movie out.  It was a very good watch and made you feel good after such a horrible event.