The Ten Best Movies Of 2016

Honorable Mention - Arrival
Never in  a million years did I ever think that I would walk out of this sci-fi movie thinking or having some of the most intense thoughts/conversations about life and a what if type scenario like the one this movie ends up posing.

10 - Pete's Dragon
This was one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid so I was pretty skeptical when they announced a remake of it.  But Disney kept their live action remake magic going with this very enjoyable watch that unfortunately got lost with its end of summer release.

9 - Bad Moms
This movie had me laughing my ass off from beginning to end.  I loved the three moms and Katheryn Hahn seriously stole every scene she was in.  She was on a Will Ferrell level from Old School.  This was definitely my favorite comedy of the year.

8 - Finding Dory
Pixar doesn't do bad (except for Cars 2).  I would like to see more original stuff from them but was more than happy enough with the sequel to Finding Nemo.  They did a great job of respecting the old characters and introducing the new ones.

7 - Loving
Joel Edgerton continues to climb my favorite actors list with his turn in this movie about a bi-racial couple against all odds.  This movie did an amazing time of taking you to a time and place and made you feel the plight of people like the main characters in this movie.

6 - Manchester By The Sea
This was one of the most real feeling movies I've ever seen.  I mean they take you right in to a family's experience with the toughest thing to deal with.  Casey Affleck put in one of the best performances of the year here and this movie should get a lot of love come awards time.

5 - Rogue One
This movie being at 5 on my list is not a sign of it being not as good as other Star Wars movies, it's more a testament of the movies ahead of it being that good.  Regardless, this first attempt at a stand alone Star Wars story was awesome.  They did a great job of introducing you to a whole new band of characters and making them an important part of the overall story.  The one knock I'll make about this is that besides knowing how it would end - you don't feel as strongly as you would otherwise as the end plays out.

4 - Deadpool
So glad that they finally had the balls to make a R rated comic book movie.  This was easily the most enjoyable ride of the year (for adults) and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is one of the greatest pieces of casting ever.  So glad that this movie finally came to be after years of trying.

3 - Captain America: Civil War
This movie was incredible.  Consider the large scale of characters in it and the sky high expectations and I have to say that the combination of Marvel with The Russo Brothers just gets better and better.  I'm very glad that they are taking over the Avengers movies moving forward.

2 - Birth Of A Nation
Hopefully this movie does not get forgotten come awards season because of its early release date.  This was one hell of a powerful movie.  I left the theater so angry that things were like this at one point.

1 - La La Land
A musical has not hooked me like this movie did since Moulin Rouge.  From the opening number (which has been my alarm clock song since seeing the movie) I was hooked.  The chemistry between the two leads was electric and this movie was just a very enjoyable watch and one of those movies that makes going to the cinema in the first place feel magical.